The client is a leading supplier of medical professionals to public and private hospitals in UK. As the majority of their work is for temporary employees, they receive a large number of timesheets every week. For smooth billing to the hospital and smooth payments to temporary employees (doctors and nurses) it is imperative for the client to process timesheets accurately and on time.
To focus exclusively on recruitment, the client outsourced payroll processing to a service provider. However, their outsourcing partner was working on an outdated software and the staff wasn’t specialised in healthcare payroll. Unhappy with the low level of accuracy, overpayments, late payments and lack of standard processes, the client was compelled to shift to a different service provider.
Having had their hands burnt with one service provider, the client was extra-cautious while engaging with us. Although we did not feel a need for an on-site visit (being well-versed with the process) the client hired our payroll managers and payroll executives to visit on work onsite for 3 months. While designing a solution to the client’s accounting challenges, we uncovered these major issues:
- Our client used an outdated software for payroll, which did not have flexibility and features required for processing timesheets for locums
- The entire process for tracking and approving timesheets was MS Excel driven which was tedious and time-consuming, and this increased the chances of human errors
- Temporary employees were highly dissatisfied due to late payments, weekly processing and frequent errors
- Hospitals were unhappy with the high levels of incorrect invoices and frequency of adjustments.
How QX helped
Having worked for some of the biggest healthcare recruitment companies in the UK, our payroll managers have a strong grasp on the best processes and standard practices. We also possess an in-depth understanding of the most effective software payroll systems that can be easily implemented. In order to help our client benefit from reliable payroll services, we did the following:
- Migrated to Merit payroll software – helping select relevant modules, integrate with database and implement it
- Moved from the MS Excel based process to automated process, making the most of Merit’s functionalities
- Shifted from weekly timesheet processing to daily processing, ensuring that healthcare professionals are paid on a daily basis and daily invoicing help in improved cash-flow
- Prevented adjustments by adhering to a midnight cut-off – we process timesheets received on any day by midnight and send to the client for review. The client’s team gets 2 hours to respond with amends before we run payroll, nipping any errors in the bud.
- 99.9% accuracy in timesheet processing – we rarely see any rejections of timesheets owing to processing errors
- Happier doctors and nurses as the time for processing and payment is lower owing to daily payments
- Hospitals are more satisfied greater focus on validating timesheet data has led to lesser adjustments or overpayments
- Our client enjoys peace of mind and can focus on other critical tasks as we take care of processing a major portion of their timesheets.